The 'Quirinale' Obelisk (14.6 m), which is located in Piazza del Quirinale, once stood outside the Mausoleum of Augustus.
In 1786, by order of Pope Pius VI (r. 1775-99), the obelisk joined the two statues of the Dioscuri, known as the ‘horse tamers’, which stand outside the Palazzo del Quirinale.
At the behest of Pope Pius VII (r. 1800-23), a fountain was added to complete the ensemble. The fountain was designed by Raffaello Stern (1774-1820). The inscription reads: PIVS VII PONT MAX / QVOD ABSOLVENDVM SVPERERAT / ADDITO CRATERE EXCITATO SALIENTE / SYMPLEGMA CONSVMMAVIT / A D MCCCXVIII PONTI XIX. (Pius VII, Pontifex Maximus, by adding the basin and erecting the fountain, brought to completion the ensemble, which remained to be finished, in the year of our Lord 1818, the 19th of his pontificate.)