The Casina delle Civette (House of the Owls), which is part of Villa Torlonia, dates back to 1840 when it was built by Giuseppe Jappelli for Prince Alessandro Torlonia. At the beginning of the 20th century it was transformed and extended, at the behest of the prince's nephew, Prince Giovanni Torlonia the Younger, into what we see today.
The work was first overseen by the architect Enrico Gennari. In 1917 Vincenzo Fasolo added the southern facade of the house and the small building became an elaborate residence, where the prince lived until his death in 1938.
The Art Nouveau stained glass is the distinctive feature of the house. It was installed between 1908 and 1930 and produced in the workshops of Cesare Picchiarini to the designs of Duilio Cambellotti, Umberto Bottazzi, Vittorio Grassi and Paolo Paschetto.