The Cappella Sistina, also known as the Cappella del SS. Sacramento (Chapel of the Most Holy Sacrament), in the church of Santa Maria Maggiore, was designed by Domenico Fontana (1543-1607) for Pope Sixtus V (r. 1585-90). Decorated with marble panels, statues and stuccoes, it houses the sumptuous tomb of the eponymous pontiff, who started his working life as a humble swineherd.
The chapel has a Greek cross plan, with short wide arms and a central dome. The entrance arm is flanked by two small octagonal chapels. The chapel to the right is dedicated jointly to St Lucy and the Holy Innocents, while the chapel on the left is dedicated to St Jerome.
The left arm of the Cappella Sistina contains the funerary monument to Pope St Pius V (r. 1566-72), which was designed by Domenico Fontana. The statue of Pius V, who was enshrined here in 1823, is by Leonardo Sormani (1550-90).
The closely-matching funerary monument to Pope Sixtus V, in the right arm, was also designed by Domenico Fontana. The statue of Sixtus V is by Giovanni Antonio Paracca (1546-99), better known as il Vasoldo.
The centre of the chapel is dominated by a large gilded bronze tabernacle (1590), the work of Lodovico del Duca. The four supporting angels are by Sebastiano Torrigiani.