The 16th century church of Santa Maria di Loretoal Foro Traiano was built for the Bakers' Guild (Università dei Fornari). It was begun by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger (1484-1546) and completed by Giacomo del Duca (c.1520-1604).
Del Duca, a pupil of Michelangelo, designed the dome and the elaborate lantern. The latter gained the nickname the gabbia dei grilli (cage of crickets).
The inscription above the main entrance reads: DIVAE · MARIAE · VIRGINI · ET · MATRI · DEI · SODALES · LAVRETANI · DD · AN · IVBILEI · MDL.
The interior has an octagonal floor plan with four semicircular chapels. The sanctuary is a rectangular bay.
There are six marble statues in the sanctuary. The two angels are by Stefano Maderno. The second statue on the right is St Cecilia (Giuliano Finelli), and that to the left is St Agnes (Pompeo Ferrucci). The two statues nearest to the altar are St Susanna (François Duquesnoy) and St Domitilla (Domenico de Rossi).
The nave is dominated by the dome with frescoes by the Roman painter Cesare Mariani (1826-1901). Each of the eight sectors has (from top to bottom) a prophet or sibyl, a saint in a tondo and an angel.