Of ancient foundation, the fortified church of Santi Quattro Coronati is dedicated to four crowned saints, who were martyred during the reign of the emperor Diocletian (r. 284-305). The present church was built during the reign of Pope Paschal II (r. 1099-1118).
The interior has a matroneum and a Cosmati pavement, both dating back to the time of Paschal II. The fine wooden ceiling dates was installed in the 16th century. The frescoes in the apse are the work of the Tuscan painter Giovanni da San Giovanni (1592-1636).
The north aisle provides access to a tiny 13th century cloister, one of the most secluded spots in Rome.