The Cappella di San Giacinto(Chapel of St Hyacinth), in the church of Santa Sabina, was commissioned by Cardinal Girolamo Bernieri da Correggio (1540-1611) and built shortly after 1594, the year Hyacinth of Poland (c. 1185-1257) was canonised.
The frescoes on the walls are by Federico Zuccari (1539-1609) and depict scenes from the life of St Hyacinth, a Polish Dominican priest and missionary. On the left wall is a fresco of St Dominic Dressing St Hyacinth in the Dominican Habit and on the right the Canonisation of St Hyacinth.
The altarpiece is a rare example in Rome of the work of a female painter, Lavinia Fontana (1552-1614), and depicts St Hyacinth Venerating the Virgin Mary.
St Dominic Dressing St Hyacinth in the Dominican Habit, fresco by Federico Zuccari
The Canonisation of St Hyacinth, fresco by Federico Zuccari