The 'Flaminio' Obelisk (23.20 m), which stands in the centre of Piazza del Popolo, was the first obelisk to be brought to Rome. It had initially been erected by Ramesses II (r. 1279-1213 BCE) in Heliopolis. Following his defeat of Antony and Cleopatra in 31 BCE, the emperor Augustus decided to transport it to Rome. It arrived in 10 BCE and was placed on the spina in the centre of the Circus Maximus, where it remained until it was toppled, possibly by the Goths, in 547. It was discovered, broken into pieces, in 1587. It was duly repaired and two years later Pope Sixtus V (r. 1585-90) had the architect and engineer Domenico Fontana set it up in the centre of Piazza del Popolo.