The ancient church of Santi Vitale e Compagni Martiri in Fovea, better known as San Vitale, is dedicated to the legendary martyrs St Vitalis, his wife St Valeria and his sons St Gervase and St Protase.
San Vitale was founded in the 5th century, but has been restored several times since. Its fine portico survives from the original church. The wooden door, with its carved reliefs, dates back to the beginning of the 17th century.
The frescoes on the walls of the nave were executed by Tarquinio Ligustri (1564 - c. 1621) and completed in 1603. The frescoes in the apse are the work of Andrea Commodi (1560-1648), while those in the presbytery are by Agostino Ciampelli (1577-1642).