Fountains of the Marine Monsters
The Fontane dei Mostri Marini (Fountains of the Marine Monsters), the two rather bizarre bronze fountains that grace Piazza Santissima Annunziata, should, by rights, be in Livorno.
The fountains were commissioned from the sculptor Pietro Tacca (1577-1640) and were intended as a gift for the city of Livorno, the major port in Tuscany. However, the fountains proved to be so popular in Florence that they never left the city.
Each fountain takes the form of two sea monsters, which sit atop a basin adorned with all manner of sea life. Over time the fountains acquired the nickname the Fontane del Cacciucco after a type of fish soup, which is a speciality in Livorno.
During the second world war the fountains finally made their way to Livorno, but only in the form of copies, which were financed by the city itself!