The Cappella di Santa Caterina, in the church of Santa Sabina, is dedicated to St Catherine of Siena. It was designed by Giovanni Battista Contini (1642-1723) as a burial chapel for Cardinal Scipione Pannocchieschi d'Elci (1600-70), and built in 1671.
The dome features a fresco by Giovanni Odazzi (1663-1731) of St Catherine Being Presented to Christ by the Virgin Mary. The four frescoes in the pendentives, also by Odazzi, depict St Catherine Chooses the Crown of Thorns, Christ Gives St Catherine Communion, Christ Gives St Catherine his Heart, and St Catherine Receives the Stigmata.
The altarpiece is a painting of the Madonnaof the Rosary with St Dominic and St Catherine by Giovanni Battista Salvi (1609-85), better known as il Sassoferrato.
The cardinal's coat-of-armsis splendidly displayed in opus sectile, in the centre of the floor.