Founded in the 4th century, the ancient church of Sant' Anastasia al Palatino has been heavily remodelled several times.
The facade was designed by the Florentine architect Luigi Ariggucci for Pope Urban VIII (r. 1623-44).
Nave
The interior was completely remodelled in the Baroque style by the Maltese architect Carlo Gimach (1651-1730). The recycled ancient columns are spectacular.
Nave Ceiling
The beautiful coffered wooden ceiling sports the coats of arms of Pope Pius VII (r. 1800-23) and Pope Pius XI (r. 1846-78).
The Martyrdom of St Anastasia by Michelangelo Cerruti
In the centre is The Martyrdom of St Anastasia by the Roman artist Michelangelo Cerruti (1663-1749).
Coat-of-arms of Cardinal Nuno da Cunha
Above the triumphal arch is the coat-of-arms of Cardinal Nuno da Cunha (1664-1750), who paid for the restoration of the church.
Sant' Anastasia by Ercole Ferrata
Beneath the altar is a marble statue of St Anastasia by Ercole Ferrata (1610-86), which was clearly influenced by Bernini's sculpture of Ludovica Albertoni in the church of San Francesco a Ripa. Ferrata died before it was finished and the work was completed by Francesco Aprile (1657-1710).