The Casino Nobile di Villa Borghese was built for Cardinal Scipione Borghese (1577-1633), nephew of Pope Paul V (r. 1605-21), by Flaminio Ponzio (1560-1613). It was completed by his assistant the Dutch architect Jan van Senten (c. 1550-1621), better known as Giovanni Vasanzio.
The building was designed to house Cardinal Borghese's extensive collection of works of art and to provide him with a villa suburbana, a country villa on the edge of the city.
Almost 300 years later, in 1902, the Casino Nobile, and its collection of paintings, sculpture and antiquities, was bought by the Italian government. The Galleria Borghese, as it is now known, houses one of the most remarkable collections in Rome, with sculptures by Bernini and Canova and paintings by Titian and Caravaggio.