The chapel was built at the behest of Pope Clement XI (r. 1700-21) by Carlo Fontana (1638-1714). When Fontana had to leave the project, the chapel was completed, in 1714, by Alessandro Specchi (1668-1729) and Filippo Barigioni (1690-1753). The statue of Pope St Fabian is by Pietro Francesco Papaleo (fl. 1694-1716).
The Cappella Albani is the last chapel on the right.