Of ancient foundation, the church of San Gregorio Magno al Celio, which is dedicated to Pope St Gregory the Great (r. 590-604), was rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The facade (1633) was designed by Giovanni Battista Soria (1581-1651) and funded by Cardinal Scipione Borghese. The inscription declares: S · EPISC · SABIN · CARD · BVRGHESIVS · M · POENITEN · M · A · D · MDCXXXIII.
The atrium, which is lined with tombs, including an elaborate memorial to Sir Edward Carne (died 1561), is also the work of Soria.
The interior was rebuilt between 1725 and 1734 by Francesco Ferrari. The architect preserved the 16 antique columns and the Cosmatesque pavement. The fresco in the vault of the nave depicts the Glorification of St Gregory and St Romuald (1727) and is the work ofPlacido Costanzi.
The bas-relief in the medallion at the end of the nave, which is held up by two angels, depicts Pope Gregory Commissioning the English Mission. It is by Giovanni Battista de' Rossi to a design by Ferrari. The painting on the high altar depicts the Madonna and Child with St Andrew and St Gregory (1734) by Antonio Balestra.