The church of Santi Vincenzo e Anastasioa Trevi was commissioned by Cardinal Gulio Mazzarino (1602-61), the first minister to the French king Louis XIV (1638-1715), and designed by Martino Longhi the Elder (1602-60).
Coat of Arms of Cardinal Mazarin
The dynamic facade is the most exciting feature of the church. It sports the coat of arms of Cardinal Mazarin and the inscription: ANNO · IVBILEI · MDCL · IVLIVS · SRE · D · CAR · MAZARINVS · A · FVNDAMEN · EREXIT(Julius Mazarinus, Cardinal deacon of the Holy Roman Church, built [this] from its foundations in the year of the Jubilee 1650).
Nave
The interior comprises a nave with three chapels on either side.
Sanctuary
The 19th century fresco in the centre of the barrel-vaulted ceiling of the nave depicts The Apotheosis of St Vincent, St Anastasius and St Camillus.
St Vincent and St Anastasius also appear in the painting above the high altar. The two saints also flank the stucco sculpture of the monogram of Jesus, which crowns the high altar.
The church of Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio a Fontana di Trevi has a curious claim to fame; it is the repository of the praecordia of most popes from Sixtus V (r. 1585-90) to Leo XIII (r. 1878-1903). The praecordia is the name given to the internal organs that are removed when a pope is embalmed.
Left Plaque
Right Plaque
In 1583 the nearby Palazzo del Quirinalebecame an official papal residence. This technically made the popes parishioners of the church, since the palace was located in the parish (the parrochia papale).
The first pope to have his praecordia preserved in the church was Sixtus V; the last was Leo XIII. Two plaques in the sanctuary record the names of all the twenty-two popes who participated in the practice.