For most of its history, the 15th century church of Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore a Piazza Navona (Our Lady of the Sacred Heart) was known as San Giacomo dei Spagnoli (St James of the Spaniards).
San Giacomo dei Spagnoli, which was bought by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart in 1879, was completely restored and rededicated. The main entrance was moved to the east side in Corso del Rinascimento.
The facade facing Piazza Navona sports two inscriptions. The longer one reads: DEO · OPTIMO · MAXIMO · IN · HONOREM · MARIAE · NOSTRAE · DOMINAE · A · SACRO · CORDE · IESV · AEDES · DEDICATA · AN · MDCCCLXXIX. The shorter inscription reads: AMETVR · VBIQVE · TERRARVM · COR · IESV · SACRATISSIMVM (May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be loved everywhere in all lands).
Pediment Above the Main Door in Piazza Navona
The pediment above the main entrance contains two flying angels holding a shield. The names of the sculptors who carved the angels have been preserved. The one on the left is by Paolo Taccone, while that on the right is by Mino da Fiesole.
Main Entrance
The main entrance is now on Corso del Rinascimento. The facade was built in the 1930s, but an old doorway has been saved and re-erected. The lintel of doorcase displays the coat of arms of the Kingdom of Spain on its lintel, while above it is a frieze displaying dolphins, and the scallop shells that are the symbol of St James.
Interior
Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore is an example of a Hallenkirche (Hall Church), in that the aisles are the same height as the nave.
Cantoria (Singers Gallery) by Pietro Torrigiani
Most of the works of art and funerary monuments were transferred to Santa Maria in Monserrato when the Spaniards decided to abandon the church in the 19th century. An exception is the fine cantoria (singers' gallery) by the Florentine sculptor Pietro Torrigiano (1472-1528).