Piazza del Popolo, one of Rome's most beautiful squares, is home to not one but three fountains.
At the base of the ancient Egyptian obelisk, which graces the centre of the piazza, stands the Fontana dei Quattro Leoni (1828), which was designed by the Roman architect Giuseppe Valadier (1762-1830). The fountain actually takes the form of four mini-fountains, each comprising a marble lion on a stepped plinth.
At each end of the piazza stand two more fountains: the Fontana del Nettuno (Fountain of Neptune. 1818-21) and the Fontana della Dea di Roma (Fountain of the Goddess Roma, 1818-21), boththe work of the Roman sculptor Giovanni Ceccarini (c.1790-1861).