On July 8th 1600, Monsignor Tiberio Cerasi, treasurer-general to Pope Clement VIII (r.1592-1605), acquired the rights to a chapel in the church of Santa Maria del Popolo.
Cerasi commissioned the architect Carlo Maderno (1556-1629) to redesign the chapel, while turning to Annibale Carracci (1560-1609) and Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (1571-1610) to provide the paintings.
As the chapel was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin May, this theme became the subject of the altarpiece, which was painted by Carracci. For the side walls Caravaggio created images of Rome's two patron saints: the Crucifixion of St Peter and the Conversion of St Paul.
For some reason, Cerasi rejected Caravaggio's paintings and the artist had to come up with two more. The first version of the Crucifixion of St Peter has, sadly, disappeared, but that of the Conversion of St Paul is now in the Palazzo Odescalchi.
Tiberio Cerasi died on May 5th 1601 and is buried in the chapel.