Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680) was born in Naples, but spent most of his life in Rome, where he is commemorated by two plaques.
One plaque marks the house in Via Liberiana, in which he lived with his parents and siblings from 1606 until 1642. It was there, as the plaque records, that he carved some of his earliest masterpieces, including the sculptures of David and Apollo and Daphne (now in the Galleria Borghese).
A second, and much more ornate, plaque marks the house in Via della Mercede, in which he lived with his own family from 1642 until his death in 1680. The plaque was erected on December 7th, 1898, the 400th anniversary of his birth. The bust is the work of the Roman sculptor Ettore Ferrari (1845-1931).